Thursday, June 25, 2009

Farah and Michael Remind Us of Our Own Mortality

The deaths of famous people, especially ones that have been on the popular culture scene for a long time, can be shaking to us. I remember how friends of mine were devastated at the death of Elvis, and a few years later, of John Lennon. Certainly, such deaths remind us that death does come for all of us (unless the rapture occurs, as many Christians believe). But one way or the other we are all going to leave this earth sometime. Such passings remind us of our own mortality. And for those of us who are Christians, it makes us rejoice in the miracle of our salvation in Jesus Christ.

The deaths of Farah Fawcett and Michael Jackson on the same day brought back memories of earlier years for me. Fawcett, the Charlie's Angel with the golden hair and brilliant teeth, was the iconic girl next door of my college years. Yes, I had her famous poster on my dorm wall, smiling down on me as I did my homework. I will always remember Farah Fawcett's million dollar smile.

And Jackson, as sad a figure as he became in his later years, had a number of songs on the soundtrack of my life. As confused as he seemed to be in the last decade, he was just as brilliant in the seventies and eighties as a musician, singer, and dancer. He was electric onstage, and he ruled the world of pop music in his heyday. Sadly, the scandals involving the young boys ruined his legacy for many. his life went from triumph to tragedy. The promise of the five year old who became a pop star with his brothers was smothered in sadness, even when he won an acquittal in his infamous trial a few years ago.

But I will still remember some of his songs fondly. Even though we humans are broken, God's beauty can still shine through us. In Michael Jackson's case, one of his most beautiful songs was "We Are the World," which raised millions for hungry people in Africa. To hear "We are the World." featuring Jackson and other popular artists of the 1980's, go to YOU TUBE at WE ARE THE WORLD

No comments: