Monday, December 25, 2006

Styrofoam Airplanes and Cardboard Boxes

Christmas 2006 has come and gone. For us it was a sweet day, beginning with the traditional prayer and thanksgiving, and then the opening of the gifts. I got a new shirt and some new jeans and a CD called "Three Wooden Crosses," which features country music songs of faith like the title song by Randy Travis and "Long Black Train" by Josh Turner. There have been a number of fine songs of faith and inspiration that have topped the country charts in recent years. And country is not necessarily what it used to be, as many of the songs seem like the music of pop and light rock that I was raised on in the sixties and seventies. I will enjoy this album of songs.

We had a pleasant day spent around the house, listening to music and watching some television as a family. We had a big noon meal of country ham and green beans and mashed potatoes. And later we watched Philadelphia defeat Dallas in holiday football. We topped it off by watching the movie "Cars." an animated Pixar/Disney tale of being lost and finding redemption. Even our cat and dog came close for a total family experience.

The only sour note of the day came when I was assigned the task of putting together a remote controlled plane for my son, one that been given him by a generous relative. The instructions were written FIRST in Chinese, then in English, which was my first warning. The necessary guidance they contained was written in lingusitically acrobatic sentences by an interpretion deficient writer, with such gems as "Place tail section place in so tape with paper transparent tape double to strong in place where you need."

Decoding the instructions was a bit of a struggle for me, but I boldly went where no plain thinking, linguistically impaired Midwestern American has any business going. Finally, after what seemed like several hours, the plane was ready to launch. We journeyed to an empty field outside of town, all of our family ready to become the second coming of the Wright Brothers, and prepared for a legendary lift off.

But it never came. There did not seem to be any power, no matter how many times I changed the AA batteries, no matter how many little prayers for guidance I prayed for something that was only significant to us. The Kitty Hawk success was not to be duplicated on this Christmas day. So we came home, styrofoam plane and plastic (disguised as aluminum) controller in hand, vowing to search the instructions for a clue as to the problem.

And, if I am lucky, I will help my boy fly that plane by next Christmas. If not, we will still be fine, for he has been blessed with many toys to play with this year and in the past.

As we drove home I was reminded of a Christmas when I received several nice toys, including a remote control tank and a bunch of toy soldiers. But that was the same Christmas my mother got a new washing machine, and the gift my sister and I were obsessed with was the big cardboard box it came in. Simple things and imagination are all a child really needs.

We could probably make a lot of money selling big cardboard boxes as children's toys -- just color the cardboard and come up with a fancy name. If you do it someday, send a big donation to your church, since I gave you the idea!

For now, at the end of the day, I go to rest tonight with a thankful heart for the abundant blessings of our God. I thank the Lord for my wife and children, for my friends and co-workers, for the churches that God has given me to serve. God is so good -- all the time!

I pray for those less fortunate, for those who are hurting, and sick. and hungry, and lonely, and broken hearted. May they find better days and better ways in the coming year. Praise God from whom all blessings flow.

No comments: